On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 7:06 PM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org> wrote:
> All,
>
> As a follow up to the current discussions happening, I wanted to get
> opinions from the IPMC on whether or not the Incubator logo should be
> included in podling websites.
>
> Take https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BrandingAuditJune2016 as a summary
> of podling status.
>
> 29 podlings presently show the Incubator Logo.  1 podling uses a custom
> version of the logo.  This means we're just above 50% matching.  The
> branding guide indicates that this is a should, which essentially means
> that unless there's some strong reason to not include, it is to be included
> on the website.
>
> I believe the usage of the Incubator logo comes from including parent
> project logos on sub-project websites, where podlings are essentially
> sub-projects, but I can't find anything confirming this.
>
> If we are to require the logo to be present, we must spell out the URL to
> the logo to use.  This may be a variety of logos, include transparency
> effects, with and without borders, but we should guide projects on where to
> find them.

In general, this is a good idea, but before we all just +1 the heck
out of it, lets
make sure that the intent doesn't penalize the podlings by creating an ugly
visual layout for their websites.

In my view, the best way to think about overall visual layout is along the lines
suggested by Niall in a very much related discussion on Geode:
   http://markmail.org/message/e4p5owz5swmcyb7d

To quote:
Going back to the incubator branding issue, I think Geode should incorporate the
Incubator logo in its banner at the top of the page, with the aim of
replacing it with
one of the Apache feather logos when it graduates to a TLP.

I think this is a brilliant way to solve it, but it will require us to
do a bit of graphic design
to dovetail the Incubator artwork into the ASF style. The current logo
clearly doesn't
cut it, but something along the lines of:
    http://incubator.apache.org/images/apache-incubator.png
actually might.

Thanks,
Roman.