On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 7:42 PM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 10:23 PM Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 7:06 PM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>> > All,
>> >
>> > As a follow up to the current discussions happening, I wanted to get
>> > opinions from the IPMC on whether or not the Incubator logo should be
>> > included in podling websites.
>> >
>> > Take https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BrandingAuditJune2016 as a
>> summary
>> > of podling status.
>> >
>> > 29 podlings presently show the Incubator Logo.  1 podling uses a custom
>> > version of the logo.  This means we're just above 50% matching.  The
>> > branding guide indicates that this is a should, which essentially means
>> > that unless there's some strong reason to not include, it is to be
>> included
>> > on the website.
>> >
>> > I believe the usage of the Incubator logo comes from including parent
>> > project logos on sub-project websites, where podlings are essentially
>> > sub-projects, but I can't find anything confirming this.
>> >
>> > If we are to require the logo to be present, we must spell out the URL to
>> > the logo to use.  This may be a variety of logos, include transparency
>> > effects, with and without borders, but we should guide projects on where
>> > find them.
>>
>> In general, this is a good idea, but before we all just +1 the heck
>> out of it, lets
>> make sure that the intent doesn't penalize the podlings by creating an ugly
>> visual layout for their websites.
>>

> Agreed, the discussion will be worthless if its just a series of +1's.  We
> can vote when something's been figured out as working.  I suspect that will
> be a rewrite of http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html#logos

Correct.

>> In my view, the best way to think about overall visual layout is along the
>> lines
>> suggested by Niall in a very much related discussion on Geode:
>>    http://markmail.org/message/e4p5owz5swmcyb7d
>>
>> To quote:
>> Going back to the incubator branding issue, I think Geode should
>> incorporate the
>> Incubator logo in its banner at the top of the page, with the aim of
>> replacing it with
>> one of the Apache feather logos when it graduates to a TLP.
>>
>> I think this is a brilliant way to solve it, but it will require us to
>> do a bit of graphic design
>> to dovetail the Incubator artwork into the ASF style. The current logo
>> clearly doesn't
>> cut it, but something along the lines of:
>>     http://incubator.apache.org/images/apache-incubator.png
>> actually might.
>>

> Well, i'm not sure that we're the ones to do the graphic design.  We may
> want to say that one of the incubator logos needs to be incorporated into
> your design.  You may want to consider that this logo will be replaced by
> the ASF feather logo once you graduate to a TLP.
>
> I also recall pinging Sally a long while ago about a new incubator logo
> based on the new feather design.

At this point, I honestly think that we may want to go back and make
it a priority.

Given the number of podlings in the incubator it is clear to me that
the incubator
visual identity should be treated on-par with ASF's visual identity.
Yes, we're that
important. We didn't scribble the new ASF's visual identity on a
napkin -- we actually
hired professionals. I think we have a pretty strong case for the IPMC
of the same.

Thanks,
Roman.