As a NetBeans community contributor and plugin maker, I'll try to clarify
some points about how plugins work on NetBeans and how they're important.

1. Plugins can either upload a binary (NBM) or just an advertisement (with
link to another site)

2. Plugins that upload a binary (NBM) can be downloaded by anyone using a
Download button on the website.

3. Plugins can be Verified by the NetBeans team members, so they appear on
Update Center from NetBeans IDE.
3.1. In order to a plugin get verified, it needs to be signed and have a
license.
3.2. After each major NetBeans release, the plugin needs to be verified
again.

As you can see, there are more than one method for distributing a plugin,
the easiest one is to upload a binary to plugin portal and directly
distribute to anyone, without need signing or add license file, it's just a
binary repository.
The owner remains the plugin maker and a default license is assigned (I
think).

AFAIK, there are more than 1000+ NetBeans plugins available, some of them
are very old, but they may work in recent versions of NetBeans (without
verification).

The thing is, the process of making a plugin or anything else available on
maven central could be tough and complex for many developers and asking for
everyone changing the plugin license is much worse.

I see the current approach of NetBeans plugins portal with good eyes, but
it could be improved of course, allowing Maven Artifacts for example (need
to check how verification will work in this case).

Anyway, it appears that plugins.netbeans.org is just a CMS and part of
netbeans.org portal, so I don't see how to move to ASF infrastructure
without bring the plugins part.

Although, I think the discussion is about the binaries and not the plugins
portal itself, binaries could be hosted anywhere with help of a third party
company.

BTW I'm a outsider (non Oracle), so I don't know nothing about
infrastructure perspective.

Regards,
Leonardo Zanivan