On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 3:07 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Le 24/09/16 à 01:25, Roman Shaposhnik a écrit :
> > On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 1:48 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> > <bdelacre...@apache.org> wrote:
> >> Hi Wade,
> >>
> >> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 11:38 PM, Wade Chandler
> >> Also, as mentor I will recommend reviewing the list of committers and
> >> PMC members shortly before graduation, to give the opportunity to
> >> people who didn't actually become active to gracefully retire - if the
> >> project governance works it's easy to come back later by becoming
> >> active, and the project benefits from having a roster that reflects
> >> the reality of active contributors.
> >>
> >> So in summary people shouldn't put too much value on the initial list
> >> of committers, it's just that - an initial list, a kind of draft that
> >> will evolve during incubation, and probably evolve a lot for a large
> >> project such as NetBeans.
> > Well, but they do. In fact, when I was a VP of Incubator a few years
> > ago I had to deal with a formal escalation brought to the ASF level
> > by somebody who felt unduly left out of that initial list of committers.
>
> Shit happens. But because it happens does not mean we should appy very
> bureaucratic rules for all the other projects.
>
> It's enough to *warn* the new podling that they have to be careful. Up
> to them to decide which level of check they want to apply.

The initial committer list is IMHO completely irrelevant. Put down those
people who are expected to make a contribution within the next 6 months. It
is also a more honest position to the ASF, rather than listing hundreds of
people who will never use it. If that intent is stated clearly, then I
can't see why anyone who is not active would find that objectionable, even
if it is someone contributing as much as Tulach. Ohhh, yeah, don't forget
that each and every one of those initial committers need to execute a
Individual Contributor License Agreement (ICLA) with the ASF, and that our
dear Secretary need to process those. So, although the Secretary seems to
be super-human and can handle hundreds, it seems unnecessary to ask people
to do something that has no effect on them.

What I think IS important is that there is a "Contributor List" on the web
site, listing everyone and perhaps even to what extent (number of commits
for instance, time period, or similar). That is more prudent and much
easier to point to for the individual who is seeking this credit. And
better yet, it doesn't need to exist right now...

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer