Slack works incredibly well is the basic reason. Some of the aspect that
work well include:

- very effective UI

- great integration with email so that i hear about messages that I didn't
seem to see

- great notification. An alert appears on the platform I am using. That is,
I hear clicks on my laptop or a tone on my phone depending on which I am
using, but I don't hear notifications from every platform I *might* be
using. That means that when a notification happens I tend to actually hear
it rather than tuning it out.

- great sonic UI. The sounds are distinctive and penetrate cluttered
soundscapes well without being painful.

It may be that any given person doesn't care, but this sort of UI driven
discussion often comes up an not uncommonly comes out in favor of non open
alternatives. I try gimp again every few years, but every time I have done
it, I go back to photoshop due to quality of results and productivity. I
occasionally check out alternatives to IntelliJ, but they keep making it
better and more multi-lingual and more useful.

Where commercial products really are better, using them is a fine choice.
But I really do think that commercial vendors have to keep jumping the bar
set by OSS and they (we, actually) have to clear that bar and more.

(obligatory note: I work for a company that makes software that we sell.
The revenues from that pay for my groceries)