Hi,

I looked at the board resolution for the creation of the IPMC [1] and it says
nothing about how IPMC members should be added so from that I take it that the
IPMC can decide how it wants to do that.

Currently the IPMC can vote people in (which is not so common) or an ASF member
can request it. I’m not sure where the ASF member requirement came from and
wasn’t able to find the discussion about this on the incubator list. (If anyone
knows please point me to it.)

In theory an ASF member should have the knowledge and skills to mentor a
project, however I also think those who have gone through the incubating
process, have voted on releases and proposed or accepted new committers and PMC
members probably know just as much even if they are not ASF members. They may
not have as much experience but shovel at least know the basics.

Now identifying everyone who has done this would not be be easy to determine
and the Venn diagram of them and people who want to be mentors is probably
small (but still significant in numbers).

So I propose this:

If someone has done several of the following:
- has been involved in an incubating project from start to finish
- has been a release manager
- has assembled LICENSE and NOTICE files
- has reviewed and voted on releases
- has proposed or accepted committers/PPMC members

Then they can ask the IPMC to join to IPMC by sending an email to private@
listing what they have been involved in. The IPMC would VOTE on them, and
there’s a chance they could be rejected, but given it’s a private vote I don’t
think any harm is done if that happens. Also people could nominate other people
who fit into this above group.

I’d like to see this used for people who are wanting to be mentors, rather than
just having binding votes on releases. I don’t have an issue with the later
(and I think the IPMC currently does a decent job of catching any issues with
releases they come their way), but that’s what I’m trying to solve with this
proposal. i.e. We currently need more mentors and will need even more as ASF
scales up.

The subject line is actually a lie. All this really changes is that people can
bring themselves or be brought to the attention of the IPMC, rather than having
the IPMC actively trying to find people from graduated projects who then may or
may not want to be IPMC members.

We could start this off as an experiment. and take the first few people who
request it, and see how it goes with more experienced mentors observing and/ or
helping them.

What do people and the IPMC think of this proposal? Good idea or not? Could it
work with some modifications? Is it not needed at all?

Thanks,
Justin

1.
https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/incubator/content/official/resolution.html