On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 7:10 PM Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> >> ...I propose this:
> >>
> >> If someone has done several of the following:
> >> - has been involved in an incubating project from start to finish
> >> - has been a release manager
> >> - has assembled LICENSE and NOTICE files
> >> - has reviewed and voted on releases
> >> - has proposed or accepted committers/PPMC members
> >>
> >> Then they can ask the IPMC to join to IPMC by sending an email to
> private@ listing what they have been involved in...
> >
> > I like that, +1
>
> I think that those items are hard to measure and are oriented to release
> policy only.
>
> I would propose a simpler requirement.
>
> - Any PMC member of any TLP including ComDev. We then do formal NOTICE to
> the Board and if there is a concern address it.

You're right that some (not all) of the items are hard to measure.  I think
your counter-proposal would just push work to the Board (who simply won't
do it), and may result in podlings getting stuck with inactive mentors, and
limbo'ed releases.  Perhaps it's possible to cut the original list down to
things that are measurable, and change the approach from one of enforcement
to one of enlistment:

* Is willing and able to review and vote on releases for the podling.
* Is willing and able to coach the podling in proposing and accepting
committers/PPMC members.

The real goal here, I think, is not to specify criteria that the IPMC or
the board can apply.  The real goal is two-fold: a.) to give a potential
mentor the information necessary to determine if they can do the job.  And
b.) to create an instrument of commitment.  The mentor commits to involve
themselves in specific ways in the podling's incubation.

Best Regards,
Myrle