Hi -

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 8, 2018, at 3:43 AM, Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 7:10 PM Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi -

>> private@ listing what they have been involved in...
>>>
>>> I like that, +1
>>
>> I think that those items are hard to measure and are oriented to release
>> policy only.
>>
>> I would propose a simpler requirement.
>>
>> - Any PMC member of any TLP including ComDev. We then do formal NOTICE to
>> the Board and if there is a concern address it.
>>

> You're right that some (not all) of the items are hard to measure.  I think
> your counter-proposal would just push work to the Board (who simply won't
> do it),

Well the IPMC and not the Board. I admit I was pushing an extreme position as a
device for focus.

> and may result in podlings getting stuck with inactive mentors, and
> limbo'ed releases.  Perhaps it's possible to cut the original list down to
> things that are measurable, and change the approach from one of enforcement
> to one of enlistment:
>
> * Is willing and able to review and vote on releases for the podling.
> * Is willing and able to coach the podling in proposing and accepting
> committers/PPMC members.
>
> The real goal here, I think, is not to specify criteria that the IPMC or
> the board can apply.  The real goal is two-fold: a.) to give a potential
> mentor the information necessary to determine if they can do the job.  And
> b.) to create an instrument of commitment.  The mentor commits to involve
> themselves in specific ways in the podling's incubation.

Yes, and commitment is the key. The IPMC can fix this if we take some examples.

(1) We have elected non-members to the IPMC. I was one. We should be more
active in identifying merit.
(2) We take Justin’s and/or your list of criteria.
(3) We discuss potential IPMC candidates on private using the Beam model
discussed dev@community. Specifically we start threads on private@incubator to
track candidates as soon as an IPMC identifies a podling member getting the
Apache Way.
(4) As merit is acquired we VOTE on private@incubator.

This approach follows the Apache Way. It makes the IPMC more closely operate
like all other PMCs that are under the Board.

Regards,
Dave