For anyone who is interested from the Gradle side of things, you can look
at what we do for the Groovy project. We do include the (Gradle) wrapper
files in our git repo but NOT in our source distribution zip. There is one
extra step in our build process/line in our README that explains how to
populate the correct wrapper files using an existing gradle install and
after which the wrapper can then be used. I don't know if something similar
is currently possible with the Maven wrapper. Great if so, but if not, it
might prove to be a useful direction to head.

Cheers, Paul.