Hi,

> For mshadow, it is a third-party component that MXNet has been relying on
> since the initial contribution to MXNet. It has been included in previous
> releases since its category-A license allows us to do so. For this release,
> we are still releasing it as a third-party module, as evidenced by the
> content of our LICENSE file [1].

The code has been donated via a software grant  [1] and the IP clearance
process not followed. [2]

You'll note it states here [3] "No releases are possible until the provenance
of all the code to be release has been clearly established and the relevant
paperwork filed with Apache.” and "The Incubator PMC must approve the
clearance."

> For 2-5, DJL is a third-party project that depends on MXNet, not a
> component of MXNet. We PPMC don't own or manage those artifacts.

Why are they distributing release candidates? This seems highly unusual. Are
any members of the PPMC members are involved in this? I believe some of them
are employed by this company.

> Finally, it would be great if you could help clarify what compilation
> problem you had.

I’m on OSX and don’t have gcc set up correctly, clang fails to compile as it
encounters an unknown option. So it’s probably just my setup, however I’m not
even sure of OSX is a supported platform.

The PPMC needs to be more active in sorting out its branding and trademark
issues. [6] [7]

Here’s another branding/trademark issue [8] and anther [9] and another [10]. If
I search for "MXNet" here [11] I get 30 hits and some issues. I believe your
project has PPMC members from the companies listed here?

It needs to be 100% clear in all cases where this occurs that MXNet is an
incubating Apache project and those releases are not Apache ones and in some
case not under the Apache license. These 3rd party releases can’t be called
MXNet [4] if there is any category X code inside them or they have licensing
conditions that are not compatible with the Apache license. They they can only
be called NXNet if they are based on released code, with nothing else added. [5]

Thanks,
Justin

1.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rd9ff74896d1faca59b74ad45748bcfd417bec73de5ce43e57bd9dc98%40%3Cprivate.mxnet.apache.org%3E