Hi everyone,
I think the ASF has proved a good home for a large variety of
different projects. I don't see any reason why a project like Elm
couldn't flourish at the ASF.

One thing to be aware of is that the license on Elm Compiler is BSD
3-clause license [1]. Generally speaking, the ASF would require the
code to be granted to the foundation, including permission to change
over to the Apache 2 license. In a community split scenario, this
might not be feasible.
Maybe someone else with more expertise than me on the implications of
a BSD to Apache license switch can clarify the position.

Regards,
PJ

[1] https://github.com/elm/compiler/blob/master/LICENSE