On Sun, 8 Jan 2023 at 11:12, Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> The BSD license is compatible with the Apache license, so there are no
> license or legal issues here. However in general, the ASF likes to play
> nice with other communities and not have hostile forks. You would need to
> come up with a good case to get the project accepted as an ASF incubating
> project.

The intention is not to create a hostile fork, and things are not being
driven by an acrimonious split in the community. I should also clarify for
the record that I like and respect Elms BDFL a great deal and view the
whole thing in an almost entirely positive light. Its a great piece of
software; a well rounded vision and a lot of hard work has gone into making
it so.

The issue that is beginning to force a fork is that Elm is not really
maintained. The 0.19.1 release came out in 2019, and there has been nothing
since. The usual argument is that as a compiler and language, rapid change
is not needed or appreciated, which is acceptable and certainly has
benefits in providing a long term stable platform to build on top of. The
difficulty is that there are bugs in the compiler and core packages and
some of those have had patches submitted as pull requests on GitHub - none
have been merged for around the last 4 years. Generally speaking, this has
not been too much of a problem. Certainly every time I have hit a bug I
have always managed to find a workaround and the severity of the issues has
not been bad. But there is the ever present risk of hitting bugs and having
no way to fix them.

My expectation of a well run open source project, would be that patches are
reviewed and accepted/rejected. Even if the feature set of a project does
not evolve quickly, it is reasonable to expect a series of point releases
that incorporate the acceptable contributed bug fixes.

My view is that a business relying on a piece of open source software
should always consider what the route to getting issues fixed is, and in
this case it simply feels like a dead end. Every 6 months or so it crops up
on the Elm Discourse forum, is discussed at length, and nothing changes.
Working as a software architect I feel that as much as I like Elm, I would
be dishonest if I did not score it as a DIVEST on a technology road map,
due to these risks and uncertainty around its maintenance.

Not to be too critical of the Elm BDFL though, he has a young family so
perhaps has less time on his hands that he used to, and has also explained
his perspective on things which is that he does not really enjoy this kind
of working in public, and having to engage with forums and chat where
strangers can make endless demands of him. We have to accept that we cannot
force him to work in ways he doesn't want to and respect his choices.

Hopefully this gives a truthful picture of things, though obviously this is
my personal take on how things are with Elm.