Conor MacNeill wrote:

> So now we have connection pooling code in two places.
> Duplication isn't great but it happens, and sometimes
> it even happens in the same project. It is a
> refactoring opportunity. Now that we have recognized
> that, surely we can find the best solution, find
> somewhere for it to live (which may be where it
> already lives) and increase our reuse going forward.
> The bigger issue is to improve our communications,
> cataloging, etc so reuse is easier, going forward.

To borrow a popular phrase from the 70's, "duplication happens".  For those
of you who are too young, go see a great movie named Forrest Gump.

I'm not overly concerned about non-observable duplication, but when each
project requires its own separate set of database connections something is
wrong.

> This seems to me to be exactly the sort of cross-project
> issue the PMC is designed to handle. Perhaps the PMC
> should consider whether to adopt a policy of reuse across
> Jakarta projects, what that policy might be, whether the
> policy should be promoted through a library subproject, etc.

Recast into corporate terms, three PMC members (Jon, Craig, and myself)
identified this issue and put out a request for a task group to be formed.
A number of people volunteered and the discussions are published for all to
see.

The original note that sparked this ("What is Avalon?") was one week old
last night.  Welcome to the wonderful, and fast paced, world of open
source.

One final point, the PMC does not determine the content of the Jakarta web
site, nor will it be publishing a catalog.  We leave that to volunteers.

- Sam Ruby