Conor MacNeill wrote:

> Continuing the "What is ..." theme.
>
> I don't have a stake in the current DB Connection pooling argument. I don't
> use either pool in my day to day work or within Ant. However, I have found
> the discussion interesting, especially as I have just read Richard
> Gabriel's "Patterns of Software". He deals with reuse a little and I think
> he makes some interesting points:
>
> "First you need a central repository of code. It doesn't help if developers
> have to go around to other developers to locate code you might be able to
> use"

can't agree more on this!

> "Second, there has to be a means of locating the right piece of code, which
> usually requires a good classification scheme. It does no good to have the
> right piece of code if no one can find it."
>
> "Third, there must be good documentation of what each piece of code in the
> repository does."

Good documentation in a repository can solve the search problem quite
well.

> "For a lot of pieces of code it is just plain simpler to write it yourself
> than to go through the process of finding and understanding reusable code".
>
> I think this last point is particularly strong in open source projects
> where a lot of people want to implement things themselves.

This makes sense if I want to rewrite a piece of code I don't like. Most
times I'll rewite code 'cause I don't know there is already an
implementation.
One of the biggest mistake (IMHO) is to say "it takes me 2 days to write
the code. Why should I spend a week just to learn how to use other's
people code?". Well usually because in two days you can't do what others
have done in a year. Good architecture, debugging, features you may not
need now but can relif a lot of work later etc. As I said reuse is the
only way to create and enforce standards from the bottom up (not from
some high authority). And standards are the only way to scale projects.

One place to search is critical but it's not the only reason I think one
CVS is better... one repository guarantee all this packages order and
coherence. This for example means it takes less time to learn how a
pakage works from the second time on.

Can we have a kind of votation on a new jakarta-util project? (details
about can be finalized later once we agree on goals)

Federico
[EMAIL PROTECTED]