Few things seem clear ( for me ):

- without a common repository, we'll go nowhere.

- the CPAN model works - i.e. individual modules doing specialized jobs.

- each project has big chunks of code that can be clasified as "utils" and
may be reused, but without a common repository there is little incentive
on making it "independent".

- it is not easy to make this code "independent" and package it as a CPAN
module - and without that the code is hard to reuse without taking the
whole.

- code that depends on a "framework" or project internals is less
reusable than "independent" code ( or code that depends on few other CPAN
modules ).

- you can't force someone to use your util, and a project that is going to
create utils for other has little chance. The reverse ( joining utils from
different projects and organizing them in a consistent way ) may work and
will probably lead to reuse and mergings.

What I'm trying to say is that if we want reuse, we need to do something -
and deciding which project has the "right" db pool is not going to help.

The PMC can easily create a jakarta-util and add all commiters from all
projects as commiters to the new repository.

It's not hard to organize code in packages - org.apache.util.XXX, with
each commiter beeing free to create new packages. The only requirement is
that  util code shouldn't have deps on anything outside org.apache.util,
and  any dependency to another org.apache.util.xxx module should be
documented ( a simple DEPENDS file ).

BTW, the rule should be "no rule" - it's better to have more modules
doing the same thing in different ways than deciding what is the
"right" way to do something. It's absolutely normal to have multiple
solutions to a problem ( like connection pooling ).

So - we either go ahead and create ( ask the PMC to create ) a CJAN
repository, or we stop wasting the time in mail flood.

Costin

PS.
I would be very interested in ANT moving the ProjectHelper and the XML
reading stuff in jakarta-util. It'll fit perfectly in tomcat3.x config
mechanism.

I spent a lot of time refactoring tc3.3, and I did looked around in other
projects for code and models - and there are quite a few pieces that would
be great to be able to reuse, but the overhead is too big.

BTW, this would be a good way to merge tc3.x and tc4.x ( if we add a
jakarta-modules repository with various modules for various projects that
are not core and can be "adapted" in multiple places  :-).