Craig R. McClanahan typed the following on 02:19 PM 2/15/2001 -0800
>My personal preferences in this regard are fairly simple -- publish APIs (or
>use
>existing ones where there are reasonable standards) that you promise reasonably
>stable contracts for, and innovate on the implementation(s) inside those APIs.
>When changes ultimately do occur, they should be designed to minimize the pain
>of adapting (through techniques like providing convenience base classes that
>most alternative implementations would have started from).

I think the key to this is to have a solid process for defining and amending
the APIs, ensuring that everyone who uses them has the opportunity to
give their input. This should be a separate, more considered process than
that used to change the code itself, but more accessible (easier to influence)
than the servlet API spec. It's important that developers feel it's easier to
get the API changed than fork off their own project.

Kief