Hear hear!  I think that Taglibs is an excellent model
for a library-oriented subproject.  Here are some
features of Taglibs (some overlap with Craig's
comments) that I think would translate quite well:

  * individual landing pages for each taglib
    (essentially sub-subprojects)
  * standardized documentation formats in most
    taglibs
  * clearly defined divisions between tag
    libraries in the CVS repository
  * "courteous" interaction between taglib
    developers (i.e., I don't muck about with
    your taglib without asking)
  * lots of user interaction on the dev list
    esp. concerning release candidates (which
    neutrilizes maverick developer
    syndrome and reduces the necessary number
    of committers)
  * reasonable scope boundaries (e.g. the JDBC
    taglib doesn't do database pooling, that's
    what utility libraries are for!)
  * it's fun to work on!

Although I'm not interested in being a committer on
any of the other proposed library sub-subprojects at
this time, I'd be happy to help out with the "Library
Infrastructure" sub-subproject, if the goal is a
Taglibs-like organization for the project and the
site.

- Morgan

--- "Craig R. McClanahan"

=====