On Sun, 18 Nov 2001 06:07, Dave Jarvis wrote:
> More database neutral?
>       Moreso than Turbine.  As neutral as the others, yet BOX seems easier to
> configure and maintain.

errr.... is it just me or is this completly and utterly wrong. BOX completely
punts on database neutrality and just prays that the SQL between databases is
identical. And of course everyone who has worked with SQL knows that this is
far from being true.

How do you handle different quoting requirements for different databases? How
do you handle different databases id generators? How do you handle difference
X ?

Turbine or more specifically Torque addresses many of these issues, not all
of them but a lot of them. It is faaaaaaaaaaaaaar more db netral than BOX is
from your description. About the only painful thing was that it was a bit
harder to configure but IIRC they were fixing this a few weeks ago.

> More platform neutral?
>       Probably: it doesn't require Apache, Tomcat, Java, Xalan, or Xerces.

As far as I can tell this is not too different from Cocoon. You could easily
reimplement most of it in C, C++ or probably even perl. About the only thing
not available would be java XSP pages, but as XSP is language independent you
could easily use javascript, perl, python or virtually any other language in
there.

I still see your project as basically a Generator for cocoon + cut down
processing engine. I would be surprised if you could reach the performance
level of the Cocoon2 pipeline just because they have had a lot of people
workin on it.

--
Cheers,

Pete