On 1/4/02 7:23 AM, "Ceki Gülcü" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 06:46 04.01.2002 -0500, you wrote:
>> On 1/4/02 6:04 AM, "Ceki Gülcü" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>>> Jakarta does not have a benevolent dictator where the puck stops.
>>> Recognizing this fact, we either:
>>>

>> [SNIP]
>>

>>> 3) Keeps things as they are and hope for the best.
>>>

>> For those of us (like me) that donıt get it, can we do a quick review why
>> deviation from the One True But Sometimes Really Ugly Coding Standard as
>> defined by Sun Microsystems is such a threat to the ongoing health of
>> Jakarta?  And if the above isn't really the problem, but just an example,
>> can we talk a bit about what the problems are?
>
> Deviation from the "One True But Sometimes Really Ugly Coding
> Standard" as defined by Sun Microsystems is *not* a threat to the
> ongoing health of Jakarta.  It is just an example, albeit a symbolic
> one.

Whew ;)

> The threat is to Jakarta's *nature* and it comes from our indecisiveness.
>
> Real problems I see is
>
> 1) lack of focus,

I too worry about this.  A lot.  I don't know what to do about it yet.

> 2) duplication between projects,

Too many damn loggers - thank goodness sun is providing us with on via
JSR-47.  I am sure that the Code Conventions will be followed to the letter
too.

(You know I'm kidding - I'm a huge log4j fan, but that one was *just* too
easy...)

Seriously, I don't know if that is a problem, as I think it drives
development.

We have two web frameworks, Turbine and Struts, and they are different in
current implementation, and as far as I understand it, different in
evolutionary roadmap.  I think this is good and healthy.

We have regexp and ORO.  I always use ORO for the Perl stuff.  No other
comments.

We have repetition in commons/commons-sandbox, which I think is great.

Those are the top level ones.  It's clear that there is repetition within
projects (the database connection pools being my canonical example) but that
too seems to be evidence of exploring the solution space rather than pure
wheel re-invention (although there is some of that...)

I think (and only 'I thin') the only thing we can do about this, as you
can't mandate what project communities decide to work on, is to ensure that
the top level projects remain clear in scope, and encourage cross-project
cooperation and sharing, which I think the Commons was intended in part to
do.

> 3) lack of common procedures for doing things.

Mixed feelings, as this tends to be personal taste, and leads to operational
totalitarianism which I think stifles innovation.  There is something to be
said for common build procedures, but with ant and a little documentation,
it generally isn't a big deal I've found.

> Are these perceived as problems by others or is it just my
> imagination?
>

> --
> Ceki Gülcü - http://qos.ch
>

> --

Geir Magnusson Jr.     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting