Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> +1 on the principle of merging Jakarta and XML. However, you realize
> there are technical considerations such as the look and fell of the
> merged web-site. More importantly, what would be the scope of the merged
> XML+Jakarta?

The more important question is what is the community model.  As the XML
bylaws are clones of the Jakarta ones, I would venture to say that they are
fairly compatible.

> How should we call the combined project? ApacheGrabBag? SourceForgeII?

Jakarta.

[Note: answer above is merely to show that the proposal is not a serious
one]

One thing I would like people to think about.  I see viceral reaction at
times to putting things in commons.  Or in Avalon/Turbine/Struts, etc.  And
often there is lengthy debates about whether something belongs in Jakarta
or not.  Yet, curiously, there seems to be little consideration as to
whether something belongs in Apache or not.

How many people here know what the Apache board does?

Here's a concrete example to illustrate the issue: I've always been under
the assumption that at some point a few people in Jakarta land would take a
sustained interest in contributing code to Gump, at which point, I would
propose it to be a formal subproject.  At the present time, it looks like
there is a greater possibility of interest of contributing by people in XML
land.  This lead to a bit of soul searching, and I came to conclusion that
if that were to come to pass, I would follow the community.  After all,
what does it really matter whether the code is jakarta-gump or
xml-whatever?

- Sam Ruby