On 1/6/02 10:29 AM, "Ted Husted" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ted Husted wrote:
>> (1) That we petition the ASF to change our charter and remove the word
>> "server", so what we are simply charged with providing production
>> quality solutions on the Java platform.
>>
>> [I'd link to our charter, but can't find the ASF minutes any more, and
>> don't know where else it was published.]
>
> Found our copy at least --
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/site/pmc/01-03-19-meeting-summary.html
>
> at 2.1
>
> So I'm thinking we might propose that our charter be amended to
>
>   RESOLVED, that the Jakarta Project Management Committee be and
>   hereby is responsible for the creation and maintenance of
> -1  commercial-quality, open-source, server-side solutions for the Java
> +1  commercial-quality, open-source solutions for the Java
>   Platform based on software licensed to the Foundation; and be it
>   further
>
> So that Ant, BCEL, and whatever would no longer be out of scope, and we
> could also consider client-side Java packages when they are proposed.

I'll continue to swim upstream.

Take POI, Ant, BCEL, Oro, Regexp and make that the core of a new client-side
project...

Not that I think little of Ant, Oro, BCEL and Regexp - actually the converse
- I think that they are valuable assets, so I don't say this lightly. I lurk
on the Ant list, and know for certain it's a vibrant, active, productive
community, and I know that it would be a great anchor for a new project -
it's full of people steeped in the jakarta tradition, would be an attractor
to users because of the popularity of ant.

However, I still worry about the effects on Jakarta.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting