On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 06:49, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> >On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 06:10, Sam Ruby wrote:
> >> Shouldn't...
> >>
> >>    Velocity and Jasper be in the same category?
> >>
> >>    Watchdog and Tomcat be in the same category?
> >>
> >>    Jmeter and Cactus be in the same category?
> >>
> >>    Lucene and Oro be in the same category?
> >
> > Shouldn't JMeter and Watchdog be in the same category?
>
> JMeter is general purpose.  Watchdog effectively is Tomcat specific.

Watchdog is TC specific - didn't know that ? Is it servlet/jsp specific or
tomcat specific? Could it be reimplemented over the top of Cactus or is it
tied to a specific infrastructure?

> > Shouldn't Avalon and Log4j be in the same category?
> >
> > Shouldn't Avalon and Commons be in the same category?
> >
> > Shouldn't Avalon and Tomcat be in the same category?
>
> Obviously, Avalon is everything.  ;-)  But first and foremost, people tend
> to think of it as a framework.

And that happens to be the smallest part of the Avalon project ;)

> > Shouldn't Turbine and Commons be in the same category?
>
> Ditto.

I would love to see torque be given more presence then, *cough*
top-level-project *cough* :)

> > Shouldn't Cactus and JMeter be in the same category?
>
> You got me there.  ;-)  Hint: intentional cheshire cat lurking in that
> statement.
>
> > Shouldn't Cactus and Watchdog be in the same category?
>
> Same response as the first.
>
>  = = =
>
> My two cents: these categories are not perfect, but are useful.

yep. It may be useful to break down the turbine and avalon projects into
their constituent parts though, then again not all of those parts are out of
alpha ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete