For the archive - this was peter responding to Sam.

On 1/13/02 8:45 AM, "Peter Donald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Have I ever blocked anybody moving anything to commons?
>
> Yes I would love to particpate in commons but I probably wont because I
> consider the management process of it broken.
>
> Consider this - how many committers are there in commons atm - 10, 20, 30 ?
> Now to get a new project moved you need a 3/4 vote - lets be generous and say
> about 12 votes!!!!! That seems real likely.

And we are looking at changing that we recognize that is starting to become
a hurdle.  Things change.  Things evolve.  We learn.

> Then you have the joy that every commons committer has voting rights on
> everything - even code they have never contributed and never will - sounds
> like a great "meritocracy" - right? Mmmmm, just the sort of thing we are
> meant to be promoting.

I also agree - I am uncomfortable with that, and have been from day one.  To
be fair though, it hasn't resulted in any huge problems yet.

I do think that having all the commons committers be involved with things
like deciding what can be a commons component is a good thing and should be
preserved (with the modification of the 3/4ths rule - the idea should be
they *can* participate - not must...).  Having all in every issue doesn't
seem to scale.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting