On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 11:24, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
> >
> > on 2/4/02 1:58 PM, "Kevin A. Burton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > I created the java-is-dead mailing list to address these issues.
> > >
> > > Note that this mailing list is a place to help fix things.  The java-is-dead
> > > mailing list is for people who love Java but are *very* concerned.
> >
> > The only people who can fix these things is Sun. This mailing list sounds
> > like a black hole and these types of politics usually don't work against Sun
> > (neither do online polls)...
> >
> > The way to get Sun's attention is to corner them into a hole and then pound
> > on their head for a few years. Then, if you are lucky, you might get them to
> > concede on an issue or two so that only you will be happy.
>
> In case you didn't notice, Sun might go out of business as soon as a
> couple of years: if even Oracle says that bigiron is dead, Google and
> yahoo run on huge though inexpensive clusters of pc clones, Dual G4
> machines are starting to beat the pants out of Sun boxes and run
> unix.... where the hell is Sun going to earn its money from?
>
> yep, you guessed it right: Java.

unlikely, that's a difficult transition to make.  Its easier to become
the next Borland than a
cross-platform-microsoft-like-palm-like-hybrid-thing.  Java doesn't
offer sun much of a business plan.

> They dropped the ball for java on the desktop: sun management decided
> that it will never happen: there will be no Java version of StarOffice.
>
> So they want to earn money on the other two sides:
>
>  big -> enterprise (J2EE)

possible.  They're going about it the wrong way (still).

>  small -> embedded (J2ME)

pipe dream.  If embedded resources grow substantially (to where embedded
means a system about as capable as my desktop), Bill G. and the gang
win.  If it stays small, Palm and K&R win.  Sun has to bet on something
in between or start making Java native chips again..  Its a pipe dream
of a business plan.

> why? simple: these are the things that pay off and these are the things
> that go along better with Sun core business: which is hardware (both big
> fat machines and silicon chips).
>
> Now: is Sun going to change this because Mr. Burtonator cries on his own
> mail list? yeah, sure.
>
> Unless he has a few 10 billion dollars to invest in Sun to open up java.
>
> Sun can't start selling JDK's, otherwise people will switch to .NET (or
> OSS clones of it, see Ximian MONO), but it sure can stop improve on it
> (after 1.4 is out) and give away for free *normal* java implementations
> and sell better/faster/more-scalable JVMs (which is what M$ will be
> doing with .NET)
>
> You can be sure Sun has a lot to learn from M$ on the marketing-software
> side of things.
>
> Yep, people, Java is turning into legacy for most corporations: they'd
> rather spend some thousand dollars in new software (which will run on
> sparc only, of course) than spend millions in retraining people, porting
> software to .NET and blah blah blah.

perhaps.

> Where does OSS stand? We have been *used* to make java solid.

probably (Sun = Corporation, Corporations operate in their own interests
and not for the public good -- OSS served and possibly serves Sun's
interests, if that changes so does Sun).

> Now things are changed: they think they don't need us anymore because
> Java is a commercial reality. That's the truth and you'd better learn it
> fast.
>
> My position: give me a solid (possibly GPL-ed) CLI implementation, a
> Java2C# porting tool, a BSD-licensed library of .NET classes and
> java-cloning classes and I say let's kiss java good bye.

Think long and hard before you jump on this bandwagon my friend.  If
maintaining cross-platform compatibility with the .NET version is an
objective for Mono then it will fail.  The 3000 lb gorilla will never
loose control of its illegitimate child.

Regarding C#.  I still think I'd rather learn "D" www.digitalmars.com/d

If mono branches from .NET one starts asking why start with what I'm
sure has baggage from the Microsoft platform in the first place.

> Interesting enough, this is where Ximian is leading.
>
> Or we wait for another mozilla-like miracle.
>
> Anyway people: be ready to jump off the train, we are approaching the
> cliff at full speed.

Agreed.  Sun is self-immolating and fast.  I really do not see them
surviving the decade, and I'm skeptical about their survival beyond year
6 or 7 at least in their present form.

I'm really not sure what skillsets I should pick up from here.  I'm
considering not being a programmer at all anymore (professionally) and
moving more toward the administrative side of things (again I'd never
give up coding for fun).  Seems a safer bet now that we're moving into
what I predict will be a decade of fad languages, etc.

-Andy

> --
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                             Friedrich Nietzsche

www.superlinksoftware.com
                        - fix java generics!

vote.
-Ambassador Kosh