On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:29, Colin Chalmers wrote:
> It's good to know your enemy but lets not talk Java into it's grave. Just
> because MickySoft comes out with something to compete against Java people
> seem to be taking fright and already talking about ditching Java for C#
> thereby playing into Mickys hand. Has Micky got so powerful???

"mickysoft" ? Hmmm ...

The Java people are not running scared - however many are fed up with the
steward of Java. There is plenty of people who would be willing to do a lot
to make java a betweer platform but due to licensing restraints can not.

Theres plenty of crap features in java that could be easily fixed given an
open platform but wont be because it is not.

> Let's look on it positively, a bit of competition for Java/Sun is perhaps
> no bad thing in itself :-) But already to be thinking about swinging to C#
> is a bit premature don't you think?

Whos thinking? Of the two Apache projects that I am most involved with - both
already have C# ports of parts or all of them. There is ongoing porting of
other parts of these projects aswell.  There is also external ports of other
projects I rely upon (namely a net port of junit). When the time comes when I
am forced to switch then it will be easy enough to do.

I don't plan to ditch java just yet. JDK1.5 will contain enough improvements
in the core framework that it will be "good enough" for almost all my needs.
However thats a long way off - if the mono team or one of the other
opensource C# clones were to get hald as good as java is now then I would
definetly consider switchin - and I know a lot of other people who would also
do so.

Its about putting control back into the developers hands and all really
depends on the way Sun handles it from here on in.

--
Cheers,

Pete

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
                -- Voltaire