Hi,

Is there a page somewhere at apache.org, explaining why anyone would want to
switch from GPL to ASL? The GNU.org site paints a very inspiring picture of a
world of Free Software. It would be nice if there was an Apache equivalent
somewhere explaining the Apache philosophy. This could be used as ammunition by
people trying to "convert" useful GPL'ed projects. I'm sure many Jakarta
members have found themselves in this situation.

Personal perspective: I know I was quite shocked when I first heard someone
here say "GPL sucks" (back in fighting-with-webmacro days:). I didn't know how
to take it. What kind of philistine wouldn't want RMS's vision of Free Software
to come true? It took me a long time (as a university student) to understand
why the GPL truly does suck as a license for business use.

So, a) is there anything out there already, and b) if not, anyone want to
volunteer? :) I'm not very qualified, but could certainly provide something for
a "testimonial" section.

Here's a starting resource:

http://www.oreillynet.com/lpt/a//policy/2001/12/12/transition.html

"        Working Without Copyleft

  It's possible to be an ardent supporter of open source development
  and not be a fan of copyleft and the General Public License. In this
  article the authors -- software developers -- relate how they came to
  embrace copyleft, became disillusioned with its limitations, and
  consequently turned away from it.
"

--Jeff