Kevin A. Burton wrote:

> The big companies (Microsoft, IBM, SUN, etc) have been the ones creating the
> standards.  IETF, JCP, W3C, etc are all good examples.

Actually I think the IETF is the exception, which is why I think it
could be a good starting point if people wanted to do their own
standards.  I've just finished working on this draft:

http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tls-ciphersuite-06.txt

I don't work for a big company, and we don't have any direct interest in
this draft.  I just wrote it because it seemed like an interesting thing
to do.  It took a long time but it is now approved and is waiting for
the RFC Editor to get round to publishing it.  If anything it helped
that I wasn't from a big company because I wasn't pushing any particular
agenda.

> It would be interesting to see if the Open Source process could work for
> *creating* standards.  At the very minimum it woul be interesting...

Exactly.  Open source produces high quality software, but too often it
is just a free clone of something commercial.  Of course some open
source projects do take the lead, but it would be nice to see this
happening to a greater extent.

--
Pete