> Kevin A. Burton wrote:
>
> > The big companies (Microsoft, IBM, SUN, etc) have been the ones creating the
> > standards.  IETF, JCP, W3C, etc are all good examples.

I think you are a bit confused by the fact that everything a company does
is claimed to be 'standard, high quality, reliable, secure' ( by the
company that creates it - the competition claims the reverse, they
are the real 'standard' ones ).

The important standards like HTTP, HTML, TCP/IP were created in
university/research environment, with an eventual corporation playing a
marginal role.

Costin