"Andrew C. Oliver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 24/03/2002 12:39:09 AM:

> > 'News' as a measure of activity on a project is effectively useless.
> > Commits/month would be a lot better.
> >

> Hummm...I'll put that comment in the pile of "the most important
> activity in software development is programming" pile of things I
> disagree with.

Fine, but since commits aren't just programming, they're also docs,
proposals etc, i feel it's a far more valid measure of activity than
writing a news article.

> > Given most jakarta projects have a nightly build, releases by
themselves
> > aren't as much of a milestone as people would think from the
commercial
> > point of view. Take Struts for example. I happily built production
systems
> > off pre-1.0 code for many months. There were no new betas, just
updated
> > nightly builds. The code was actively being developed, but why waste
time
> > on a release if there's no particular purpose?
> >

> Whoa...dude.. The release is the point when all the edges are smoothed
> and things are tied off.  Release often.  There is a difference between
> a build and a release.  Its the point when an effort is made to make
> sure the documentation matches up and everything is *ready*.  It a
> tracking point in the software lifecycle.  If you never stop the bus
> then when can you paint it?
I agree, but you need a purpose for a release. Releasing just so it
happens often is pointless. There should be a consistent amount of
change/bug fixing/docs etc for a release to be made.

--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au