> It would be a real shame for the lack of an total automated
> solution to lead
> to the lack of a simple manual solution. If administrators can manually
> check the explicit version of a JAR, rather than comparing
> sizes/datestamps,
> that would be a major improvement over today. Correctly version stamping
> JARs (using ANT today, or ANT future) would make operational
> configuration a
> lot less "throw a pile of JARs together and pray..."

I think the problem here is that we (obssessive Jakarta people)  can't see
the woods for the trees, it tends not to be such a problem to people who
have a good working knowledge of the projects and their progress, if not
their actual contents. Additionally this has been discussed before but no
one made any concrete proposals (I don't think)

Perhaps if you were to submit an idea for a simple manual/ant automated
process someone might add it to the website for further discussion.. I
believe someone was looking at writing  guidlines for release managment but
don't know what happened there. That might be a suitable place for it.

At the end of the day it would, of course, be up to individual sub-projects
whether or not to implement it, but you stand the best chance of this if you
can present a clearly documented simple system for release managers and
build script writers to follow. After all if it takes ten minutes to
implement and doesn't conflict with anything else what is there to lose?

Dont forget the principle of Apache, that changes often get submitted
because users get so hacked off waiting for someone else that they submit
them themselves.
:-)

d.