Geir,

     I appreciate the intelligent response.  I have a question though, what
happens when you pour your heart and soul into building a product, and make
it so user friendly that not many people need support?  Now your product is
open source and everyone is getting it for free so nobody is buying you
'commercial' version and you can't sell enough support to earn a living?
     one more question, is Redhat Linux Professional Server any different
from what you can download for free. If so how can they get away with that?

Aaron

                    "Geir

                    Magnusson Jr."       To:     Jakarta General List
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    <geirm@adeptra       cc:

                    .com>                Subject:     Re: Sun Is Losing Its Way

                    12/10/02 07:33

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to Jakarta

                    General List

On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 07:24 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Micael,
>
>      I am sorry that you think of yourself as one to be believed as
> dim-witted, because I know that I never inferred anything of the sort.
> Do
> you have some issues you would like to talk about?.  Isn't it ironic
> how
> everyone continues bash MicroSoft because they make such horrible
> products,
> yet everyone wanted the sourcecode released.  If it is such garbage,
> why
> would anyone want it??? <clip> God, some people! <clip>

So we can fix them, or remove the parts that lead to vendor lock-in.
For example, I always wanted the source to VisualC++ so I could fix
their project file.  Instead of some stupid proprietary binary that was
almost self-corrupting, I wanted to switch to a readable (fixable) text
format like XML.

Same with Excel - I used to do real-time financial market data stuff,
and we had such problems with Excel sometimes WRT real-time updates via
DDE.  Now, I think Excel is one of their finest products (that and
Intellimouse...), but we had needs that the average user didn't, and
were happy to extend the thing if we could...

--
Geir Magnusson Jr                                   203-355-2219(w)
Adeptra, Inc.                                       203-247-1713(m)