Danny Angus wrote:

So the suggestion is:

All Users lists become forums.
Developer lists stay.

Only problem I see there is that Developers won't check the forums as much
as they should, unless the Users forum has a mail list interface.

I think this is a terrible idea, unless... we had a mail->news gateway which would expose the lists as news groups.

I like the way perl.org does just this. Their lists are available as both mailing lists and as newsgroups.

It seems much of the reason people want to have forums is for the search abilities. There are mail archives available but I must I agree many are so limited in their search abilities and/or interface that they do not help much.

Maybe the following combination would keep all happy. lists + lists as newsgroups + really good interface/search of archives

R.Parr
Temporal Arts