Sam Ruby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 04/03/2003 10:24:53 AM:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > "Andrew C. Oliver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 04/03/2003 01:51:36
AM:

> >>I nominate Sam Ruby whom I sometimes, often would be too strong of a
> >>word, disagree with but always respect his integrity and belief in
> >>community-based software development.  I too would like to see some
> >>changes, but Sam has outlined, several times, most of the changes that

> >>I'd actually like to see.  The remainder of which, I'm not certain
that
> >>the Jakarta community of the whole has control over.
> >>
> >>One change I do not wish to see are projects which specifically
exclude
> >>Apache/Jakarta members due to the cult of personality of one of its
> >>participants, even its prinicipal participant.  Personally, I mark my
> >>graduation from pre-pubescence not on any biological definition rather

> >>the day that I learned to work in close quarters with those whom my
> >>personality or personal philosophy disagreed with or to extract myself

> >>from the situation rather than the other way around.
> >
> > Could you please elaborate on how these projects have achieved these
aims
> > under the current PMC?
> >
> > I'm very interested in where Apache/Jakarta members have been/are
> > currently excluded, and how the new PMC will stop this from happening.
>
> Given the context, I can only presume that Andy was referring to emails
> such as this one [1].  If I am incorrect, I expect Andy will correct me.

Given [2] and [3], I would have thought it reasonably obvious that this
was not intended for public review, and that Jason was unusually stressed
by family events.

This is the second time that particular email has been referenced without
context, which I find a little inconsiderate to both Nicola and Jason,
given the cirumstances.

But anyways, Jason is not a project (James is :) ), and, as on most other
jakarta projects, one person doesn't make the decisions.

Personality conflicts and that one person doesn't 'get along' with another
is something that we all learn to deal with in real life. That it happens
@ Apache should be of no great surprise. I don't expect the Jakarta
Project, or the ASF, to be perfect, and will work around the issues that
crop up. Other people will do what they see as right.

> How will the new PMC stop this from happening?  I have not specified a
> timetable for this change to occur (I am being very careful and
> deliberate in the evolotion of the current structure of Jakarta to
> conform to the wishes of the ASF board), but the direction Jakarta is
> heading is to make the release votes of any software from Jakarta to be
> the purvue of the PMC.  In other words, only PMC members can issue
> binding votes on such matters.  Note that such votes are by design
> majority votes, so are not subject to veto.
What does this mean, exactly?
That if the Jakarta PMC doesn't like the behaviour of one person on a
project, they will veto the release of software that the person was
involved in creating? I'm hoping I misunderstand you on this.

[2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-general&m=104448423329090&w=2
[3] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-general&m=104448469829716&w=2
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting