On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Alex McLintock wrote:

> >Brian McCallister wrote:
> >
> At 16:28 17/07/03, Erik Price wrote:
> >Spoken out loud, I use "Apache Web Server" and in writing I use "Apache
> >HTTPD".  Once the context is clear (that I am referring to the software
> >and not the organization), I typically shorten it to just "Apache" if I
> >have to refer to it again.
>
> Recruitment Agent: Have you done Struts?
> Me: Yes I have done some Struts. I can point you at websites I have built
> with Apache Struts.
> Agent: Is that the same as "Jakarta Struts"?
> Me: <explanation of the ASF and its projects>
>
> I think this whole Jakarta brand has backfired and is diluting the Apache
> name.
>
> But few people seem to care about the ASF's professional image....

In actual fact it's the other way around I think. ASF care about the brand
image and are taking steps to remove the Jakarta brand. This is why you
see things like Ant/Maven being promoted.

A year ago, when asked what the lagest Java open-source project would be,
people would say 'Jakarta'. They are now slowly [it'll take years] moving
to saying 'Apache's Jakarta'.

Personally I think it would have been easier to just accept that Jakarta
was a stronger brand than Apache in the Java space and benefited from
that, but the logistics of setting Jakarta up at a higher level would have
been painful.

We could always pull a Mozilla and rename httpd to something else. At the
very least I shouldn't be dealing with apache with:

/etc/init.d/apache restart

or

apachectl restart

These just help to confirm the belief that Apache is a web server.

Hen