Jasmeet,

The idea is for new projects to enter through the Incubator ( http://incubator.apache.org/ ). The basic process is defined to be

1) Submit proposal
2) Discuss proposal
3) Incubator PMC votes on proposal
4) Incubation begins or doesn't based on vote
5) Incubation Exits or Aborts (depending on whether the community is there or not)
6) Profit!

The process seen to be in practice so far is that an initial project code base and community is built up somewhere (SourceForge, BEA, self hosted, etc) and the developers on that project prepare a proposal for the Incubator (with a working codebase and community already in existence).

As an Apache project is supposed to be more defined by the community of developers than the code (see codehaus for a more code-centric foundation) with the idea that a strong group of developers who care about the project will produce good projects (compared to good code and uncommitted developers who tend to walk away from the project when they get bored -- with no replacements stepping up from the larger community).

So, step one - what is your idea? EAI is a big field and a good open-source solution is a good thing.

-Brian