From: Brian McCallister [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 6:09 PM
To: Jakarta General List
Subject: Re: A free Java data analysis tool?

Jasmeet,

The idea is for new projects to enter through the Incubator (
http://incubator.apache.org/ ). The basic process is defined to be

1) Submit proposal
2) Discuss proposal
3) Incubator PMC votes on proposal
4) Incubation begins or doesn't based on vote
5) Incubation Exits or Aborts (depending on whether the community is
there or not)
6) Profit!

The process seen to be in practice so far is that an initial project
code base and community is built up somewhere (SourceForge, BEA, self
hosted, etc) and the developers on that project prepare a proposal for
the Incubator (with a working codebase and community already in
existence).

As an Apache project is supposed to be more defined by the community of
developers than the code (see codehaus for a more code-centric
foundation) with the idea that a strong group of developers who care
about the project will produce good projects (compared to good code and
uncommitted developers who tend to walk away from the project when they
get bored -- with no replacements stepping up from the larger
community).

So, step one - what is your idea? EAI is a big field and a good
open-source solution is a good thing.

-Brian