> why does the Apache/Jakarta project still uses maillist?
> It's a technology that was used before the invention of WWW.

And boy does it ever work!
I've worked on a number of commercial projects which are managed in a
similar way to accomodate dispersed teams.
It works, we like it, get used to it.

> Everyone get's your eMail address, therefore you get spammed all the time
> the and it's very inconvenient to use.

Use gmane for a mail to news gateway.

> Every student homepage has got it's own forum now, so why not
> Apache/Jakarta??

Because of all the alternatives you might have chosen "forums" *really*
suck.

> I think this prooves again that Open Source is still a geek project and
far
> away from a professional managed software project.

There are two views to this, one is that many, many, professionally managed
software projects count Apache amongst their role models for team
management, in fact some of the most commercial and largest software
companies in the world are having to adopt a managerial approach similar to
OS project management in order to "compete".

The other view is that OS is indeed about geek projects, thats the point,
pointy haired bosses can't write software, pointy haired bosses make us
write bad software by adding irrelevant distractions like deadlines and
dumb requirements.

OTOH any pointy haired boss who has a valuable contribution to make can
turn up and make it. If it is of any genuine value it will probably be
adopted, and they can be elected onto a project as commiters. We probably
have quite a few, busily writing software for Apache and keeping their
pointy haired nonsense for their day jobs ;-)

d.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the addressee(s) only.
If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for delivery of the message to
the intended recipient) please notify us immediately on 0141 306 2050 and delete the
message from your computer. You may not copy or forward it or use or disclose its
contents to any other person. As Internet communications are capable of data
corruption Student Loans Company Limited does not accept any  responsibility for
changes made to this message after it was sent. For this reason it may be
inappropriate to rely on advice or opinions contained in an e-mail without obtaining
written confirmation of it. Neither Student Loans Company Limited or the sender
accepts any liability or responsibility for viruses as it is your responsibility to
scan attachments (if any). Opinions and views expressed in this e-mail are those of
the sender and may not reflect the opinions and views of The Student Loans Company
Limited.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of
computer viruses.