I would strongly recommend checking out Axion ( http://axion.tigris.org/ ) as well, which is also in the incubator (cvs is still on tigris as they promised users a 1.0 release in that namespace, I believe).

When Derby was first announced I thought it may make life rough on Axion, but the more I look at using Cloudscape 10 (derby initial codebase) the more I think Axion may make life difficult for Derby ;-)

Will be fun having both of these here, hopefully both will benefit a lot.

-Brian