Hola,

> An FYI. Please kick me if I'm going too far with these ideas; I get the
> feeling I have a general +0, but hard to tell sometimes.

Not going too far: these are good ideas IMHO.

> My aim for Jakarta is to either promote subprojects to TLP or flatten them
> into
> Jakarta Commons, leading to a non-umbrella Jakarta (I know, you didn't think
> you'd see it in your lifetime). This new Jakarta would have the potential to
> serve two roles:
>
> 1) Place for [EMAIL PROTECTED] to share conversation [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 2) Place for [EMAIL PROTECTED] to share code [Jakarta Commons]

Why Jakarta Commons and not just Jakarta?  I thought either move to a
TLP or be a normal jakarta project as the two options, essentially
making Jakarta itself a Commons of sorts.

> Storing the spec source there would be good for everyone I think; it would
> help
> bring people to Jakarta to share code and conversation, and the Commons
> community would make good stewards for the code if the various owners
> departed.

We need to keep in mind that commit access to specific spec modules
may be restricted in a manner slightly different than the usual
Jakarta way, e.g. to only members of the relevant Expert Group.  (For
example, not all Tomcat committers can modify jakarta-servletapi-5).

> Some other pluses are that it would help be a part of an attempt to
> rejuvenate
> Jakarta in 2006 (as a kind of federation) and that non-JCP specs could be
> stored there too.

Nice.  Some OASIS stuff comes to mind.

--
Yoav Shapira