On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 12:22 -0800, Nathan Bubna wrote:
> On 3/5/06, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Given that we are one project and that we should be acting as one
> > community - I propose that we:
> >
> > 1) Remove SVN restrictions, all Jakarta committers can commit anywhere in
> > Jakarta, with the exception of the Commons-Sandbox as it allows Apache
> > committers in general to commit.
>
> i think this is fine.  it brings our practice more in line with the
> legal realities of the organization.  it adds potential for greater
> cross-pollination and lower barriers to resuscitating dormant
> projects.  it's true that most of us committers are myopic and do
> nothing with the greater freedom, but the potential is there for some
> to more easily serve the community and their own needs through this.

+1

Commons committers voted in for their work on one project technically
have access to other projects. This has not had any negative results as
fa as I am aware, and it has lowered the barriers for those committers
to become involved in other commons projects where appropriate. I've not
seen any case where a committer made inappropriate changes to another
project - and if it did happen, normal community oversight would pick
that up. I would expect jakarta-wide commit privileges to work just as
well as commons-wide.

Re "measuring community size of a project" and determining *who* the
community is, I agree that the committer list for that project isn't
actually very effective. There are several possible measures I can see:
* counting vote emails as mentioned by Henri
* counting SVN commits to a particular project
* inspecting the maven project.xml's committers section and then
cross-checking whether the listed people are actively committing to ANY
project (ie whether they are still around)
* annual online survey that all committers are asked to complete,
  in which we indicate what projects we actively participate in.

Cheers,

Simon