Hi Kelly,

I think you want to look at LocalLucene (or LocalSolr).  I haven't played with
Local*, so I can't provide more than this tip.  Actually, I can also suggest to
dump Plucene - it's a dead project, and even when it was alive it was quite
slow.  If you really need to be able to search from a Perl application, your
best bet may be using a Perl Solr client.

Otis