> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> Anne Thomas Manes wrote:
> >
> > Excellent idea. We'd have to come up with a new name for the
> current Axis
> > project so as not to give it preferential name recognition.
>
> I don't get it: what's "preferential" in using a name that is already
> recognized and already has a community around?

We're talking about creating a new umbrella project focusing on Web services
that initially will host three different SOAP projects: soap, axis, and
wasp. From earlier comments on this thread, I infer that there's a push to
get the axis community to gather around Web services, not just around the
axis code base. If the umbrella project name is axis, then the sub-project
ought to have a different name -- otherwise the axis sub-project would be
viewed as the "real" project, and the others as something less. If the axis
sub-project doesn't want to change it's project name, then the overarching
umbrella project should have a different name.

> > I also like the idea of getting some ebXML projects going.
>
> well, not for the sake of political balance only: they still *must*
> adhere to our community standards before entering, even if, code
> donation to an existing subproject require much less strict community
> standards since the subproject community will take care of
> merging/workin-on the code.
>
> > The WASP framework is designed to be XML Protocol independent,
> so it could
> > be used to implement an ebXML Message Service implementation.
> I'll see if I
> > can recruit a community for such a project.
>
> cool
>
> > Perhaps we'd like to revisit Peter Kacandes's poll to submit
> ebXML reg/rep
> > (which is now at SourceForge)?
>
> Up to the Axis community at this point, but I'd suggest doing one code
> merging at a time.

Good point, although ebXML reg/rep wouldn't involve code merging -- its a
registry/repository, not a SOAP implementation. It would be a separate code
base.