Sam Ruby wrote:

> Anne Thomas Manes wrote:
> >
> > One way to make things more apparent would be to pull the SOAP project under
> > the Axis project (or vice versa). It also might help to provide some
> > indication on the Web site that SOAP and Axis are in some way related to
> > each other. Note that on the http://xml.apache.org main page, Axis is listed
> > in the left column of projects, but it's not listed in the main text (which
> > implies that it isn't an XML sub-project?). (XML Security doesn't appear to
> > be a sub-project either). What this means is that unless someone knows to
> > look for Axis, new-comers will automatically go to the SOAP page and never
> > find the Axis project. There's no mention of Axis either in the SOAP project
> > description on the main page or on the SOAP project page.
> >
> > It would be useful to have some verbage on the project pages that ties the
> > SOAP and Axis project together -- perhaps a single project page that lists
> > the ongoing SOAP projects. This approach would also easily accommodate
> > another SOAP project (e.g., WASP).
>
> Or come up with a new name for us to bring together these projects (i.e., a
> fresh slate).  Such an umbrella under a PMC is not without precident, see
> Jakarta's Avalon and Turbine projects.  We could also discuss factoring out
> portions that are potentially common to mulitple code bases (e.g., JAX RPC,
> Wsdl2Java, etc.).
>
> The one thing I want to insist is to have a single -dev list in order to
> facilitate the building of a community.  Multiple -user lists can are fine.

I like this: one subproject, one -dev community and as many
distributions/codebases/CVS-modules as you decide.

Now, since Axis is already there, why don't we use Axis as such
sub-container?

This would:

1) give you more freedom to accept new donations, yet removing the
perception that one codebase gets more visibility than others.

2) Axis is a technology-neutral name. It also "suggests" for many
orthogonal directions to cover up the solution space.

3) It has an established and diverse dev community.

So imagine the entry in xml.apache.org:

 Apache Axis aims to implement the software that let you
 enable web services.

Simple, clean, visible, immediate and politically neutral.

Then it's up to the axis-dev community to accept donations, refactor
code, create revolutionary schedules, manage technology litigations and
so on.

And let me add: out of "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" which is way more
general than a place to discuss about web services.

This said, it's obvious that this project should also try to come up
with a way to let the two web-services players (UDDI/ebXML) talk and
collaborate, at least on a technical basis. Apache is and *MUST* remain
politically neutral, otherwise people will change their perception of
our technical excellence.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                             Friedrich Nietzsche