For the sake of completeness, if we really insist on "fixing" it, it does
appear to be possible...

In the meantime, I discovered that it is related to the way the zip targets in
our build.xml are specified.

Currently, the format used for the binary zip, for example is:

  <zip zipfile="${name}-${version}-bin.zip" basedir="${dist.bin.dir}"
includes="**"/>

Now, if we were to employ Ant's zipfileset, and specify it analogously to the
tarfileset:

  <zip destfile="${name}-${version}-bin.zip">
    <zipfileset dir="${dist.bin.dir}" filemode="755">
      <include name="${name}-${version}/fop"/>
    </zipfileset>
    <zipfileset dir="${dist.bin.dir}">
      <include name="**"/>
      <exclude name="${name}-${version}/fop"/>
    </zipfileset>
  </zip>

I have verified that that would suffice to address the issue, i.e. make the fop
script executable out of the box.

Still, I am OK with the current artifacts for 2.0 and postponing said tweak to
a later release.

KR

Andreas