On Sunday 10 April 2005 8:34 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:27:03 +0200 Christian Parpart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote:
> | Both have pros and cons. Well, the ASF has everyting converted into a
> | single  repository and they seem to be just lucky with it. KDE is
> | about to convert  everything into a single svn repos as well (for
> | other reasons). For the Gentoo projects, it might make sense
> | (administrative) to keep  everything into a single repository as well.
> | However, providing each sub  project with its own repository will work
> | around the single-point-of-failure  effect (in worst case) so it's
> | likely to happen this way.
>
> Nothing to do with single points of failure.

maybe wrong said. I mean, when you break the repos, you break
everything and the whole development process halts. when you
break a little repos if a single dev group, you break just
this one (to be fixed though) and the others will continue w/o
any problems.

> SVN uses transactions and
> changesets. These make a heck of a lot more sense if they're done on a
> per project basis.

reason?

> Unlike with CVS, this makes a big difference -- SVN
> revision IDs are actually meaningful,

SVN repository IDs represent the state of the whole repository at a given
time, nothing more or less.

> and you don't want to lock every
> single Gentoo project whilst one person on a slow dialup connection does
> a single transaction to a single project.

as confirmed by svn devs and others, the transaction data is first uploaded to
the server (with whatever speed the client has) and then performed
server-side. Though, the time of locking the database depends on the CPU
load, and not the client's [dialup] speed.

Hmm... besides, the ASF is just having a single repository for all their
public projects (with about 1000+ contributors) w/o any problems.

Regards,
Christian Parpart.

--
Netiquette: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
 23:44:22 up 18 days, 12:50,  2 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.64, 0.72