050804 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
-- long interesting account of life in the enterprise snipped --
> I want to see Gentoo as an enterprise-capable distribution myself,
> but I also understand that it is a long, hard road ahead of us
> and there will still be things we cannot provide as a community distro.
> There would need to be an entity responsible when something goes wrong
> and that has the manpower and resources to fix it.

There's no way a volunteer organisation like Gentoo could undertake that.
What would be essential is a company with capital invested
& probably an insurance policy somewhere in the background,
which employs Gentoo-knowledgeable staff to build & fix systems.
It would probably have its own mirror with a selection of Gentoo packages,
which it is prepared to guarantee as reliable & safe to use,
& would develop all the enterprise-level management tools you describe.
Hopefully, it would give something back to the underlying volunteer Gentoo
by way of free staff time & some tools all of us might benefit from.

The first step is a visit to your friendly neighbourhood bank manager (smile).

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : [EMAIL PROTECTED]