On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:03:49 -0600 Grant Goodyear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| I keep hearing this, isn't there a real difference between a stage 1
| and a stage 3 install inasmuch as somebody who needs (or wants) to
| dramatically tailor what's in the system profile can choose to do so
| from a stage 1 or 2, but would have to remove packages after the fact
| if starting from a stage 3?  I wouldn't have a problem with that, as
| long as we document it

emerge -e world && emerge -e world && emerge depclean

Exactly the same results, except that it won't fall over and die
because of unlisted circular dependencies.

| but it just seems that the claim that the old and new methods produce
| _exactly_ the same results seems to be stretching things a bit.

How do you think stage3s are built in the first place?

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Look! Shiny things!)
Mail            : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web             : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm