Marius Mauch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> IIRC the idea behind duplication was not to use a flag for different
> purposes, but have a generic description in use.desc (like "doc: build
> additional docs") and give a more detailed description in
> use.local.desc (like "doc: build API docs and manual as pdf and html").
> See http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.portage.devel/618 and
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/26035 for the original
> threads about this.

In all of the examples I have seen it seems that the "more detailed
description" doesn't really give that much more useful information.  It just
seems to be duplicating the same information in different words.

Currently the flags I found in both use.desc and use.local.desc are exact
copies, so I will talk to the maintainers for those packages and make sure
they are alright with removing their entry.

On a more global scale, we should decide if this is valid though.  I haven't
exactly been convinced that it is useful, but I'm not opposed to the idea.
I'd just like to see a decision one way or another.

--
Mark Loeser   -   Gentoo Developer (cpp gcc-porting qa toolchain x86)
email         -   halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org