On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 12:32 +0100, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 February 2006 11:58, Patrick Lauer wrote:
> > During that discussion we realized that having utf-8 not enabled by
> > default and no utf8 fonts available by default causes lots of
> > recompilation and reconfiguration.
> At the same time, you'll probably hear people bitching about UTF-8 being
> enabled because "it's not needed for me, should be the rest of the world to
> change"....
It is still optional, just enabled by default :-)
All the people with non-ASCII charsets will have less work, only that we
switch the load from, say, 75% of the users fixing their environment to
25% of users having to switch.

And who doesn't want UTF-8? Just being able to see a Japanese Website as
it was intended (even if I can't read it) is a nice feature.

So - apart from some users maybe not wanting it, any technical reasons
against?

> I'd be the first to be interested in having it enabled by default, tho.
Yes, otherwise spelling your name is almost impossible :-)

Patrick
--
Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move