On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 09:15 -0500, Dan Meltzer wrote:
> Asking developers to "proxy" takes almost as much time as it does to
> ask them to maintain a package by themselves.  The developer is
> directly responsible for anything he commits, so he will have to still
> test the ebuild, still test any revisions, and still follow the
> package to make sure there are no problems.  The writing the ebuild
> part of the process is not that much of the commitment, I don't see
> the point.

Well no, that's not really what I was suggesting. Developers who took on
these ebuilds would only be responsible for checking that they don't
break the tree and that they do actually work. They aren't responsible
for fixing the package when it breaks, or for following its development
at all - that's the responsibility of the _users_ maintaining the
package.

Yes, writing the ebuild is the least part of the process, but there's
often a lot more involved, and it's that that's being done in bugzilla
at the moment. The way I see it, the developer would only be responsible
for the ebuilds, and not for doing everything else.

--
Jonathan Coome <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gentoo Forums Moderator